home

Coharie Arms CA89k

Coharie Arms CA89k

This is my Coharie Arms CA89k. It’s an MP5k/SP89 clone made by Coharie Arms. I ordered this May 21, 2007. I picked this up from my FFL on August 6, 2007. Overall build quality seems pretty good. Everything is pretty tight. Actually, I had a heck of a time getting the lower off the one time I disassembled it. Also, the front sight blade is broken. I don’t know if it came that way, or if the yahoos at the FFL did it (I know they were playing with it). I tend to think it was the FFL, because how could the manufacturer build and test fire the thing without noticing that. I’ve had zero range time with it, and probably won’t have any until after I get the SBR’ing done. I’ve got the forms, I just need to get motivated to do it.

Update:

Due to how great the CA94 was and the prices Coharie has to blow out their inventory I had to order another something, so I got another CA89k.

Ordered: 10/8/2009

Shipped: 10/8/2009

Arrived: 10/12/2009

Picked Up: 10/13/2009

Like the CA94, I haven’t done much with this new CA89k, but I can say for sure it exudes quality.  The fit and finish feels better than the first.  I field stripped it and it comes apart nicely (not too tight/loose).  I was surprised that it had an ambi lower, I thought they had done away with that.

Update 2:

Managed to get to a range again — a real outdoor range.  I debated what to take with the limited time I had and the abundance of arms I’ve not actually fired.  One choice was the new CA89k.  I brought along a couple of new HK mags as my previous experience was that real HK mags meant less problems.  Well, I had problems.  These mags were insanely tight.  I had trouble locking them in at all.  I had a bottle of CLP and tried lubing them up and working the insertion with limited success.  Even when I thought they were locked in I had bad feed and extract issues.  I’ve got my fingers crossed it’s the mags not seating.  At least I’m not the only one.  I’ve seen plenty of discussion of others having similar issues with this batch.  I’m going to have to try again with the original mag before I declare anything.

Planning to SBR one of these:

3/7/2013: Form 1 mailed to BATFE

3/9/2013: Form 1 delivered to BATFE

3/19/2013: Check cashed by BATFE

1/2/2014: Form 1 approved by BATFE

1/9/2014: NFA stamp received

1/24/2014: SBR complete